Attention All Senior Classes, Exciting History Competition!
1. National Competition:
Decade of Centenaries Schools Irish History Competition for Primary and Post-Primary Schools 2020
The ‘Decade of Centenaries’ Irish History competition for schools (primary and post-primary) is an annual competition sponsored by the Department of Education and Skills and the School of History, UCC. It is also supported by History Ireland magazine.
Students may enter the competition with projects in either English or Irish.
In light of school closures, the deadline for entries for the Decade of Centenaries Irish History Competition for Primary and Post-Primary Schools 2020 has now been extended to Friday 29th May.
The decade 2012–2022 is categorised as the ‘Decade of Centenaries’ as it marks the centenary of a number of important historical events and developments that occurred in the period 1912–1922, and which formed a vital role in the formation of modern Ireland.
As part of the ‘Decade of Centenaries’ commemorations, schools and students at all levels of primary and post-primary schools across Ireland are invited, in the 2019-2020 school year, to enter the annual schools’ history competition. The selected themes have a particular link to events of a century ago across the island of Ireland.
This year, at both primary and post-primary levels, projects are invited under the following general headings. Please note that all categories can incorporate a local/regional studies theme:
· Revolution in Ireland – a study of a political/revolutionary event from the 1912–1922 period, a particular aspect of the event, or an individual/group/organisation associated with it. As with the other categories, this can incorporate a local/regional studies theme.
· Ireland and the First World War – a study of the Irish experience of the war from the perspective of an individual or group. This could involve a focus on a particular battle, an individual participant’s story or a consideration of the entire 1914–1918 period.
· Women during the revolutionary period in Ireland – a study of a particular individual/group/organisation/movement striving to improve the quality of women’s lives or involved in revolutionary activity in Ireland in the 1912–1922 period
· War of Independence – a study of a political/revolutionary event from the 1919–1921 period, a particular aspect of the event, or an individual/group/organisation associated with it · Visit: https://www.decadeofcenteneries.com or https://www.education.ie/historycompetition for further information, including links to useful resources.
2. In-School Competition: 4th-6th class
For anyone who feels a bit daunted by the thoughts of entering a national competition, we are going to run an in-school competition based on the Decade of Centenaries theme. The categories and deadlines are the same as above so choose your category, do your research and get going! The in-school competition can be in typed or handwritten format, presented in digital, booklet or in poster form. It must be in your own words and you must reference any historical sources that you use.
Provisional Deadline: 29th May
3. Art: The National Gallery of Ireland is running the Zurich Young Portrait Prize 2020 for any budding artists amongst you. Visit https://www.nationalgallery.ie for further information.